Saturday, March 14, 2009

Secretary of Education

I heard Charlie Rose interview Secretary of Education Arne Duncan the other day. Duncan has good ideas about education, but he might want to take a refresher course in grammar before he makes too many more public appearances.  

On two different occasions in the interview Duncan used "I" as the first person objective case. I don't remember the exact quotes, but in one case he said that his mother had a big influence on "my brother, sister, and I."  There is another problem with that construction, but I'll leave that as an exercise.

2 comments:

Elf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elf said...

I notice this all the time (or the opposite, as the subject of a sentence). I guess we have blogged about similar things. ;-) http://wordwhirled.blogspot.com/2010/10/he-and-i-him-and-i-he-and-me-or-him-and.html